How to Backup Shopify Store (Free and Paid Options)
Backing Up Shopify Store
Have you ever lost a lot of really important data? Have you ever felt a moment of panic where you thought you did?
When it comes to your business, it is too valuable to lose any data and that panic isn’t worth it. Having a backup is vital and this is how you manually backup your store’s data.
- Log in to both stores as the store owner.
- Make sure that the new store is on the same subscription plan as the original store.
- Select the same theme in the new store, or upload a theme file from your computer.
- Export CSV files to back up the following types of store information:
- Gift card codes
- Discount codes
- Financial data
- Prepare your product media for export.
- Import the CSV files for your products and customers using one of the following ways:
- From the Products and Customers pages in the Shopify admin.
- Using the Import store app. With the Import store app, you can import your CSV files together.
- If you didn’t create collections by adding a column to the product CSV file, then you can create them manually in the new store.
- Reinstall your apps.
- Manually reconfigure your store settings, for example taxes, shipping, checkout, and payments.
- Optional: Copy and paste your blog posts and online store pages.
- Optional: Rebuild your online store navigation.
The data backed up is in a CSV format.
To help you get a little familiar of the manual process read on to know what to expect next.
Learn more about data exporting/importing.
I have included videos to give you a better understanding of what that process looks like.
A backup strategy isn’t something to focus on just one day of the year. It should be a part of your business routine.
If you would like to automate this process you have options.
Included are the top 3 backup apps that will keep your data backed up and give you peace of mind.
Top 3 Shopify Backup Apps
Rewind Backups – by Rewind
Automated Store Backups. Easily Undo, Recover, and Restore.
Basic $3 /mo
Growth $9 /mo
Pro $39 /mo
Plus/Enterprise $99 /mo
Automatic Backups by Talon Commerce
Undo Mistakes, Recover, and Restore.
See the app in action with a live demo – Sample Store
Basic $9 /mo
Business $19 /mo
Business Plus $35 /mo
Enterprise $69 /mo
Backup by BackupMaster.io
An automated, secure backup solution for your Shopify store
Starter $4.99 /mo
Standard $19.90 /mo
Premium $79.90 /mo
If you are on a budget and have time. Backing up your data manually should be something routinely scheduled.
As soon as you can afford to pay for a monthly backup service, you should implement it.
Backed up can be used for duplicating and restoring your Shopify store.
We can’t predict if and when a disaster will happen but knowing that you can click a few buttons to restore your data is the freedom of anxiety and worry that you want.
Note: after further review Rewind Backups by Rewind seems to be the best for my business and I wanted to share a demonstration of how easy it is to use.